Courses, Registration and FAQs

For I.  Courses and Required Curriculum:  To keep track of your courses and requirements, we create a worksheet for each International Affairs student.  (The college’s Degree Audit office also has a parallel form, which we also follow.)  Below are the worksheets for IA students, which are updated each semester and are sent electronically so that you can add to them at any time.

Form for students entering before Fall 2016  Stu Record Form Thru S16

Form for students entering Fall 2016 or after Student Record Form F16

Courses:  Below is the full list of masters courses offered in the IA masters program.  Fuller descriptions of each course can be found by clicking on the course or looking on the Brooklyn College website.

This is a two-year program, with 15 credits to be completed each year.  The requirements are: (1) Courses: Ten Ten courses (30 credits) with the following distribution:

I. Four Required Courses, which are to be taken during the first year:

  1. POLS 7610: Modern International Politics 
  2. POLS 7720: Comparative Politics
  3. POLS 7160: Research Methods
  4. POLS 7960: Professional Development in International Affairs

II. Six Electives – any of the following 26 courses:

  1. POLS 7060: Biopolitics
  2. POLS 7070: The Politics of Race and Nation
  3. POLS 7080: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Human Rights
  4. POLS 7181: Politics and Religion
  5. POLS 7620: Global Governance
  6. POLS 7630: International Law
  7. POLS 7640: Global Gender Politics
  8. POLS 7650: Human Rights: Theory and Practice
  9. POLS 7665: Political Economy of Migration
  10. POLS 7680: The Politics of Climate Change
  11. POLS 7712: Politics of East Asia
  12. POLS 7713: Politics of the Middle East and North Africa
  13. POLS 7714: Politics of Africa South of the Sahara
  14. POLS 7717: African Gender Politics
  15. POLS 7716: Politics of Latin America
  16. POLS 7730: Postcommunist Politics
  17. POLS 7735: Global Cities
  18. POLS 7770: Violence, Security, and Politics
  19. POLS 7775: Democratization and Global Justice
  20. POLS 7780: Political Development
  21. POLS 7745: Comparative Participatory Democracy and Social Movements
  22. POLS 7760: Comparative Social Policy
  23. POLS 7810: Genocide and Ethnic Conflict (POLS 7810X)
  24. POLS 7910: Master’s Thesis
  25. POLS 7940: Internship and Independent Study 1
  26. POLS 7950: Internship and Independent Study 2

With department approval, up to 12 credits (four courses) from other Brooklyn College or CUNY graduate programs may substitute for any of the electives above.

For descriptions of each course, see the Political Science page :

III Schedules

Fall 2017

Class Number Title Day
POLS 7181X Politics and Religion Tues 6:05 – 7:45
POLS 7182X Islam and Modernity Thur 6:05 – 7:45
POLS.7450G Fieldwork/Internship student-based
POLS.7665X Political Economy of Migration Tues 8:00-9:40
POLS.7670X North-South Relations Mon 6:05 – 7:45
POLS.7720X Comparative Politics Thur 6:05 – 7:45
POLS.7780X Political Development Wed 6:05 – 7:45
POLS. 7910G Masters Thesis Student-Based
POLS. 7940X Internship and Independent Study Student Based
POLS. 7960X Professional Development in International Affairs Mon 6:05-7:45

II.  Registration: Registration is done on CUNY First.  When you begin the program, your ID will give you access to the university system, where you can register for classes at Brooklyn and anywhere in CUNY.  (If you are on academic probation, the chair will complete the required form.)

To take a course outside Brooklyn College, first ask your advisor for permission.  You can then apply for an E-Permit on CUNY First.  That e-permit then gets approved by Brooklyn College and host campus.  If you are not allowed to register on CUNY First, then you can download the e-permit form on the portal: go to e-services, click on Student Transactions, and under Registration folder click on “Take courses at another CUNY college (ePermit).”  Fill out the form and turn it into the E-Permit Office in the West Quad Building.
College Support: The Office of the Bursar provides an appointment service for all registered Brooklyn College students. The Bursar Counseling Appointment Tool (BCAT) will allow students to register for a one-on-one appointment with a Bursar advisor in a private setting to  handle issues that include:  *Account review:  Detailed questions about charges or payments on a student’s account;  *Tuition liability charges:   Inquiries regarding charges for dropped courses;  *CUNYfirst issues:  Problems viewing or paying a balance online; *Payment options: Questions about payment options available to students.  No appointment is required to make payments or for basic account inquiries. For these services, please visit the Bursar representatives at the Enrollment Services Center in the lobby of the West Quad Building.   Students may access BCAT via BC Webcentral and selecting E-Services>Schedule an Appointment>Bursar Counseling Appointment Tool (BCAT).  Appointments are available Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and Monday and Wednesday evenings up until 6:30 p.m.  If you have any questions or comments regarding this service, please contact

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s