STUDY ABROAD NEWSLETTER
Just a friendly reminder that the Summer 2018 study in China program application deadline is March 27
Event Page: http://depthome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/bc-china/
Extended our deadline for the following Summer programs to April 2nd and would appreciate if you could share this information with your students:
May 28, 2018 – June 18, 2018
July 12, 2018 – August 16, 2018
July 10, 2018 – July 30, 2018
June 8, 2018 – June 29, 2018
Also, our deadline for Fall 2018 semester long program is around the corner (April 2nd)
- BC-CityU Hong Kong Exchange — Study in Hong Kong, China
- BC-Sussex Exchange — Study in Sussex, England
- BC-Dauphine Exchange — Study in Paris, France
- BC-ISG Paris Exchange — Study in Paris, France
- BC-JCU Italy Exchange — Study in Rome, Italy
- BC-ENU Edinburgh Exchange — Study in Edinburgh, Scotland
- BC-GCU Glasgow Exchange — Study in Glasgow, Scotland
- BC-UAB Barcelona Exchange — Study in Barcelona, Spain
- BC-Dongguk South Korea Exchange — Study in Seoul, South Korea
- BC Program Study in Israel (PSI) — Study in Israel
BC-Faculty-led Programs in Summer 2018 are:
* Geo-archaeological Field Studies (Serbia)
* Exploring Culture, History, and International Development (Ghana)
* Media Production and Cultural studies in South Korea (South Korea)
* Documenting Maritime Environments (Wales)
* CUNY-BC Study Abroad in China (China)
Brooklyn College Semester Exchange 2018-19 in Paris, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Rome, Israel, England, Scotland, Italy.
Find more information here: http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/international/scholarships.php
* STUDY ABROAD 1.0 INFORMATION Sessions are EVERY Tuesday at 1 pm in 1108 Boylan Hall – open to all
For more information on our programs and exchange possibilities, please contact the Office of International Education & Global Engagement at 718-951-5189 or visit http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/internationaleducation.
Studying abroad is one of the most valuable opportunities of a graduate education. Although it requires much planning and time, the department and college are here to help in applications to any program or develop of your own program. Up to four classes toward the MA may be from departments and programs outside of the Brooklyn College Political Science department. Many students take advantage of this opportunity to take classes abroad, gaining invaluable exposure to other countries that can be key to job and academic applications. These programs range from full semesters of study to short summer group trips, fitting a range of schedules and interests.
Below are links to programs available to masters students. These programs are divided by sponsor, starting with Brooklyn College and followed by CUNY, SUNY, and national programs. In addition to these programs, masters students may make their own arrangements to study abroad, which the Political Science Department can help arrange. In the past, masters students have crated their own study abroad programs in countries ranging from Colombia to South Africa. If you are interested in studying in a particular country, but do not have the necessary contacts or information, please see the graduate chair to develop a plan.
Faculty-led Programs, Winter Inter-session:
1. CUNY-BC Study Abroad in China- http://depthome.brooklyn.cuny.edu/bc-china/index.html
2. Human Rights and Transitional Justice in Post-Genocide Cambodia, led by Prof. Kosal Path
Below are programs sponsored by Brooklyn College, listed by country.
For more information: Visit the BC Office of International Education & Global Engagement site at http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/internationaleducation; call for an appointment at 718-951-5189; visit them in 1108 Boylan; write to firstname.lastname@example.org. The office also conducts the Study Abroad 1.0 General Information Session every Tuesday at 1:00 in 1108 Boylan.
The office also arranges spring semester Exchanges with the following universities:
– City University Hong Kong
– Dongguk University -Seoul, South Korea
– University of Sussex -England
– Université Paris-Dauphine-France
– L’Institut Supérieur de Gestion -Paris, France
– John Cabot University -Rome, Italy
– Edinburgh Napier University – Edinburgh, Scotland
– Glasgow Caledonian University -Glasgow, Scotland
– Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona -Barcelona, Spain
Other programs also available. For more information on IEGE programs and exchange possibilities, contact the Office of International Education & Global Engagement at 718-951-5189 or visit http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/internationaleducation.
Scholarship information: http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/international/scholarships.php
Ghana: Ghana Study Abroad Culture and Heritage in Ghana – Summer. This program introduces students to African history, culture and contemporary issues. The program explores trans-Atlantic history and culture, as well as issues surrounding pan-African identity, anti-colonial struggles and globalization and its manifestations in the art and literature of Ghana. The program begins in Accra, where lectures and readings will be complemented by visits to cultural and historic sites. Participants will then travel to Kumasi, where they will immerse in the study and practice of Ghanaian culture through music and dance workshops and lectures with Ghanaian and Brooklyn College professors at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology on a variety of subjects. Students will also participate in a four-day service-learning component based in a peri-urban village that will include hands-on teaching and learning activities. Visits to kente weaving and craft villages, as well as traditional Ashanti cultural events will highlight the trip. Students will travel to Cape Coast and visit the Kakum Canopy walk and coastal slave forts. Students will be accommodated in hostels on or near the university campuses. Individual research projects can be arranged.
This program is open to undergraduate and graduate students, all majors. Applicants should have 30 college credits or more. Applications Due: March.
Program Fee: $3,200 (includes international airfare, CISI health/travel insurance, program-related transportation in Ghana, excursions, housing, 2 meals per day, and all lectures and speakers) Additional Costs: $615, plus Brooklyn College tuition. Non-tuition out-of-pocket costs include estimated costs for personal expenses, required vaccinations, visa, Internet/phone, laundry, and out-of-pocket meals.
Courses and Credits: Undergraduates will register for six credits, and graduate students will register for three or more credits; all selecting from among selecting from among the following courses:
* AFST 3225/THEA 2502: Black Theater
* AFST 3290: Special Topics in Literature, Culture, and the Arts
* AFST 7040X: Summer Seminar in Africa (Graduate students only)
* CORC 3110: Literature of the African Diaspora
Students must also contact the program director to express their interest: Prof. Dale Byam, Department of Africana Studies, tel 718-951-5597, email@example.com
CUNY International Programs:
CUNY offers 51 programs in 133 countries, with three types of structures:
- Study Abroad programs may be semester-long, year-long or short-term (typically run during the summer or winter intersession). These programs consist of courses aimed toward a particular course of study and are taught by faculty of the host institution or by visiting CUNY faculty. Students usually pay tuition to the foreign institution through the sponsoring CUNY college. Financial assistance, such as federal student loans and Pell grants, may be available.
- Exchange programs provide similar opportunities. CUNY students attend an overseas institution for a semester or academic year in exchange for foreign students who enroll at a CUNY college. CUNY students generally pay CUNY tuition to the sponsoring CUNY college. Under current law, the State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) may be applied to such exchange programs. Students may also be eligible for federal student loans and Pell grants.
- Faculty-led programs are courses taught by CUNY faculty. The programs are short-term and typically run during the summer or winter intersession. Financial assistance, such as federal student loans and Pell grants, may be available.
CUNY Study Abroad Program Directory Though most CUNY programs are for undergraduate students, we will arrange for graduate credit if the program director can arrange for graduate-level work.
For more information, visit http://www1.cuny.edu/studyabroad/ or write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Search Engines for Study Abroad Programs:
Other Selected Study Abroad Programs, by Country:
Andean Study Abroad Program- Florida International University Latin American Caribbean Center
Tel Aviv University’s MA in Middle Eastern Studies (MAMES) program offers students an academic immersion in the history and current affairs of the modern Middle East. The program is taught in English and includes an optional thesis track, field trips in Israel/Palestine and Jordan, and myriad extracurricular programs to enrich students’ learning experience. Those interested in pursuing careers in the fields of journalism, diplomacy, government, think tank research, advocacy/activism, and academia, will find an unparalleled opportunity to acquire an in-depth understanding of the political, social and economic dimensions of the Middle East, from within. The MAMES program also offers intensive language courses in written and spoken Arabic, Hebrew, and Turkish.
Mexico– Mexico Solidarity Network
Peru – Ecela Spanish. The program includes the equivalent of two college Spanish courses plus significant exposure to Peruvian legal and political systems. It is especially appropriate for anyone considering a career with contact with Spanish-speaking populations, such as in immigration, civil rights, or criminal justice. Dates: July 6 – August 16. Tuition: $2,499. For application, please contact MUngar@brooklyn.cuny.edu
US Government Programs
The U.S. Department of State Internship Program provides students with a valuable experience working in a foreign affairs agency. For more information, contact Patricia Guy, Diplomat-in-Residence at CCNY, 212.650.5243 or email@example.com